Called to Serve (Part 12): What Remains
There is a point in every season of service when you stop asking what you have accomplished and begin asking a different question:
What remains?
I have spent the past eleven reflections trying to understand what chaplaincy has been teaching me.
I've written about ordinary Tuesdays and difficult questions. About students who changed me. About the weight of being watched. About tradition, titles, calling, prayer, uncertainty and the quiet conversations that rarely make it into any official account of the work.
I've written about the moments when I knew what to say, and the moments when all I could offer was, “I don't know, but I'm here.”
And now, at the end of this first arc, I find myself thinking less about what I have done and more about what the work leaves behind.
What remains after the conversation?
A student may not remember every lecture.
They may forget the exact words you used in a conversation.
They may not remember the meeting, the programme, the exhortation or even the advice you thought was particularly important.
But perhaps they remember that someone listened.
That someone took their question seriously.
That someone didn't make them feel foolish for not having an answer.
That someone stayed.
Perhaps that is part of what remains.
What remains after the title?
Titles change.
Appointments begin and end. Roles are handed over. Names eventually disappear from notice boards and programmes.
The title matters. It carries responsibility, authority and accountability.
But the title was never the whole calling.
What remains is the character formed while carrying it.
The patience you learned.
The humility you had to practise.
The courage to say, “I don't know.”
The discipline to show up on an ordinary Tuesday when nobody was watching.
The willingness to serve when there was no applause attached to the work.
That is harder to put on a certificate.
It is also harder to lose.
What remains after the season?
Every season eventually changes.
Someone else will sit in the office.
Someone else will walk the hallways.
Someone else will answer the questions, listen to the stories, sit with the grieving and wonder whether they are doing enough.
And perhaps that is not a failure of the work.
Perhaps it is one of its greatest signs of health.
We were never meant to be the permanent centre of anything we were called to serve.
A healthy calling makes room for succession.
It teaches us to pass on what we have learned without pretending that the next person must become a copy of us.
That is why I wrote Part 11 as a letter to the next chaplain.
Because service is not only about what we do while we are here.
It is also about what we make possible for the person who comes after us.
What remains after the difficult days?
Not every day will feel meaningful.
Some days will be frustrating.
Some conversations will seem to go nowhere.
Some prayers will feel unanswered.
Some students will walk away before you know whether anything you said mattered.
Some efforts will never be acknowledged.
But I have come to believe that faithfulness is not measured by how visible the result is.
Sometimes the work is simply to show up.
To listen.
To pray.
To teach.
To encourage.
To correct with kindness.
To stay when leaving would be easier.
To serve when nobody is keeping score.
We may never know everything that those small acts become.
What remains in us?
Perhaps this is the most personal question.
Chaplaincy has not simply given me things to do.
It has changed the person doing them.
It has made me slower in some places and more attentive in others.
It has taught me that presence can be ministry.
That uncertainty does not always need to be resolved before it can be carried faithfully.
That tiredness is not failure.
That students can teach teachers.
That a hallway can become holy ground.
That a title can make a role official without making the calling real.
And that sometimes the most faithful prayer is simply the honest one.
I am still learning all of this.
Perhaps that is part of what remains too.
What remains when we serve?
Galatians 5:13 has been the thread running through this series:
“You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.”
— Galatians 5:13 (NIV)
The verse doesn't say we are called to build monuments to ourselves.
It calls us to serve.
Humbly.
In love.
And perhaps the measure of a life of service is not how long our name remains attached to the work, but how much love, courage, faith, wisdom and hope remains in the people we have served.
That is a different kind of legacy.
A quieter one.
But perhaps a more lasting one.
So, what remains?
I don't have a grand answer.
I think it may be simpler than that.
People remain.
Lessons remain.
Character remains.
The stories we carry remain.
The courage we helped someone find may remain.
The questions we gave someone permission to ask may remain.
The example of showing up may remain.
And, if we have served faithfully, perhaps something of God's love remains in places we will never know we reached.
That is enough for me.
For now.
The End of Arc One
This reflection brings the first arc of Called to Serve: My Life as a Chaplain to a close.
Twelve parts.
Twelve windows into a journey that is still unfolding.
I began this series wanting to reflect on what it means to serve as a chaplain.
Along the way, I discovered that the deeper questions were not only about chaplaincy.
They were about calling.
About leadership.
About faith.
About people.
About uncertainty.
About showing up.
And about learning to serve without needing to be the centre of the story.
This first arc is now complete.
The twelve reflections will remain together as the first chapter of Called to Serve — a record of the experiences, questions and lessons that have shaped this season.
And there are more stories still to tell.
But for now, I want to leave this first arc where I began the question:
What remains?
Perhaps the answer is not what we leave behind.
Perhaps it is what we leave in people.
And perhaps that is what it has meant all along to be called to serve.
CALLED TO SERVE
My Life as a Chaplain
“You were called to be free... rather, serve one another humbly in love.”
— Galatians 5:13 (NIV)
A reflection series on chaplaincy, leadership, faith, and what it means to live a life of service.
Arc One: Parts 1–12 — Complete
The journey continues in a future arc.
A Question to Sit With
When your present season of service eventually ends, what do you hope remains in the people you have served?
This reflection concludes Arc One of Called to Serve. Read all twelve parts on the Called to Serve page.

Comments
Post a Comment
Thank you for reading. Thoughtful and respectful comments are welcome. Please contribute constructively to the conversation.