Leadership Begins with Identity
“I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.” — John 10:11
We often begin conversations about leadership with what leaders do.
We talk about vision, strategy, influence, results, titles, positions and responsibilities.
But Jesus seems to begin somewhere deeper.
Identity.
John 10:11 is ultimately about Jesus—the Good Shepherd and His willingness to lay down His life for His sheep. But precisely because it reveals who Jesus is and how He relates to those entrusted to Him, it also gives us a profound picture of Christlike leadership.
Jesus does not begin by saying, “Here is what I want you to do.”
He begins with:
“I am the good shepherd.”
Before describing the shepherd's work, Jesus identifies Himself.
That is significant because leadership is not simply about activity. It is also about who we are while we are doing what we do.
Who are you when nobody is watching?
A position can tell people what you are responsible for.
It cannot necessarily tell them who you are.
Someone can occupy a leadership position without developing the character required to lead well. A person can have authority without wisdom, influence without integrity, visibility without substance, or responsibility without a genuine concern for the people entrusted to them.
That is why identity matters.
Leadership begins long before the title is announced.
It begins in the person.
Jesus' statement in John 10 is particularly powerful because the identity He claims is not merely impressive.
He says:
“I am the good shepherd.”
And then He defines what that means:
“The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.”
His identity is revealed through His relationship with those He leads.
The shepherd does not exist for the sheep to serve him
A shepherd has responsibility for the sheep.
He watches over them.
He protects them.
He guides them.
He knows them.
He cares for them.
And ultimately, Jesus says the good shepherd is willing to lay down his life for them.
This turns our usual understanding of leadership upside down.
We can easily think of leadership as the place where people serve us because of the position we occupy.
Jesus presents leadership differently.
Leadership is responsibility before it is privilege.
Authority is not primarily about what I can demand from people; it is about what I am willing to carry for them.
That does not mean a leader has no authority. It means that authority finds its proper expression in responsibility.
The higher the responsibility, the greater the obligation to serve well.
Identity shapes behaviour
What we believe about ourselves eventually influences how we behave.
If I see leadership primarily as status, I will naturally protect my position.
If I see leadership primarily as power, I may become preoccupied with control.
If I see leadership primarily as recognition, I may become dependent on applause.
But if I understand leadership as stewardship, something changes.
I begin to ask different questions:
Who has been entrusted to me?
How can I help them become better?
What responsibility comes with the influence I have been given?
What am I willing to sacrifice for the good of those I lead?
These are identity questions before they become leadership techniques.
Jesus knew who He was
Throughout the Gospel of John, Jesus demonstrates a remarkable clarity about His identity and mission.
He knows where He has come from.
He knows whom He represents.
He knows what He has come to accomplish.
And because He knows who He is, He does not have to spend His life trying to prove Himself through the opinions of others.
That is an important lesson for leadership.
A leader who does not know who he or she is may constantly seek validation from the people being led.
Such a leader can become easily threatened by criticism, uncomfortable when others succeed, or desperate to maintain control.
But secure identity creates room for secure leadership.
You do not have to diminish others to establish yourself.
You do not have to take every opportunity to prove your importance.
You can lead from conviction rather than insecurity.
Identity does not mean perfection
To say that leadership begins with identity does not mean that a leader must have everything figured out.
It means that leadership requires an honest understanding of the kind of person we are becoming.
We all have weaknesses.
We all have areas that require growth.
We all have moments when our actions do not completely reflect our values.
The answer is not pretending to be perfect.
The answer is allowing Christ to continually shape our character.
The question is not simply:
“Am I a good leader?”
A deeper question is:
“What kind of person am I becoming as I lead?”
That question can be uncomfortable.
But it is necessary.
Because leadership can expose what is already inside us.
Give someone responsibility, and you may discover their character.
Give someone authority, and you may discover what they value.
Give someone influence, and you may discover whether they use it to build others or themselves.
Jesus shows us another way.
From identity to responsibility
There is something else worth noticing about John 10:11.
Jesus' identity as the Good Shepherd is inseparable from His willingness to sacrifice.
He does not merely claim an identity.
He lives it.
That is perhaps one of the greatest challenges of Christian leadership.
It is easy to use Christian language.
It is harder to embody Christlike character.
It is easy to speak about service.
It is harder to serve when nobody notices.
It is easy to talk about caring for people.
It is harder to remain patient with difficult people.
It is easy to describe ourselves as leaders.
It is harder to accept the responsibility that leadership carries.
Jesus reminds us that identity must eventually become visible through action.
Who we are should influence how we lead.
What does this mean for us?
Perhaps you are leading a church.
Perhaps you are leading a classroom.
Perhaps you are leading a business, an organisation, a ministry, a family, or simply a small team.
Your first leadership question may not be:
“What should I do next?”
It may be:
“Who am I becoming?”
Before asking how to increase your influence, ask whether your character can sustain that influence.
Before asking how to gain authority, ask whether you are prepared to carry responsibility.
Before asking how to make people follow you, ask whether you are becoming someone worth following.
And before asking what people can do for you, ask what you have been entrusted to do for them.
That is where Christlike leadership begins.
With identity.
Jesus says:
“I am the good shepherd.”
And the Good Shepherd does not lead from a desire to be served.
He leads by giving Himself for the people entrusted to Him.
That is a radically different picture of leadership.
And perhaps that is where our own leadership journey must begin.
Not with the title.
Not with the position.
Not with the platform.
But with the person.
A question to carry
If people watched the way I lead, without hearing my title or knowing my position, what would my leadership reveal about who I am?
Prayer
Lord Jesus,
Teach me to lead from a secure identity in You.
Help me not to measure leadership by position, recognition or influence, but by character, responsibility and service.
Shape who I am so that the way I lead reflects who You are.
Make me a leader who does not merely seek to be followed, but is willing to serve, sacrifice and help others become all that You have called them to be.
Amen.
This post is part of the Leading Like Jesus series. Read the complete series on the Faith & Life page.

Comments
Post a Comment
Thank you for reading. Thoughtful and respectful comments are welcome. Please contribute constructively to the conversation.