Called to Serve(Part 6): The Weight of Being Watched
Throughout this series, I have reflected on calling, presence, grief, uncertainty, and the quiet faithfulness of ordinary days. This week, I want to explore a part of leadership that is rarely discussed openly: the quiet burden that comes with being the person others look to. Whether in chaplaincy, teaching, ministry, or leadership, there is a unique weight that comes from being visible. Learning how to carry that weight faithfully, without letting it crush us, is part of the calling itself.
Being Seen All the Time
There's a particular kind of tiredness that has very little to do with the number of hours you've worked.
It comes from being watched.
Not necessarily scrutinised.
Not necessarily judged.
Just seen.
Being, at all times, the chaplain. The pastor. The teacher. The person who is supposed to have it together.
Students notice your mood in the hallway.
Colleagues notice when your prayer sounds different.
People bring their questions, their struggles, and their expectations. Somewhere along the way, you become aware that the role doesn't always clock out when you do.
I don't say this as a complaint.
It's simply part of the terrain of any visible calling: teaching, pastoring, leading.
But it deserves to be named honestly.
Because pretending it isn't heavy is its own kind of dishonesty.
The Loneliness Nobody Warns You About
There's an assumption that people in caregiving or leadership roles are surrounded by people and therefore cannot really be lonely.
In practice, it can be surprisingly easy to become isolated in the middle of being needed.
The more people lean on you, the fewer people may think to ask how you're doing.
Everyone assumes someone else is checking on the chaplain.
Sometimes, no one is.
I've come to understand that being needed and being known are not the same thing.
People can know what you do and still not know how you are.
And there are moments when even the person everyone turns to needs somewhere to put down the weight.
The Bible doesn't hide this reality.
Elijah, fresh from one of the great victories of his ministry on Mount Carmel, collapsed into exhaustion and asked to die under a broom tree (1 Kings 19:4).
Moses, carrying the complaints and expectations of an entire people, told God plainly that the burden was too heavy for him to carry alone (Numbers 11:14).
Being used mightily and being deeply weary are not contradictions.
They can exist in the same person.
In the same calling.
Sometimes in the same season.
Where I Put the Weight
Over the years, I've learned that I cannot carry the role well if I never put the weight down.
I've needed a small circle of people who see me, not simply the role I occupy.
People with whom I don't have to be the chaplain.
People who can hear the unedited version of how I'm doing.
Everyone needs somewhere they can take off the professional face without having to explain why.
I've also had to relearn the place of rest.
In Elijah's story, God's first response to his exhaustion wasn't a sermon.
There was sleep.
There was food.
Then there was a journey.
That has stayed with me.
Sometimes we spiritualise exhaustion when what we really need is rest.
Rest isn't always an interruption to the calling.
Sometimes it is part of being faithful to it.
And then there is the place where I can be completely honest without worrying about how I sound:
With God.
Some things I carry into prayer are far less polished than anything I would ever say publicly.
Some prayers are questions.
Some are complaints.
Some are simply:
"Lord, I am tired."
I've come to believe that God is not threatened by the unedited version of us.
Called to Serve Without Performing
This is one place where Galatians 5:13 has become particularly meaningful to me:
"You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love." — Galatians 5:13 (NIV)
There is a freedom in that calling.
The freedom to serve without needing to be seen as important.
The freedom to lead without constantly proving yourself.
The freedom to admit that you are tired.
The freedom to be human without believing that being human disqualifies you from serving others.
Because humble service is not performance.
It is love expressed through presence, responsibility, and availability, while still recognising that I am not the source of everyone's strength.
That distinction matters.
My calling is to serve.
It is not to become indispensable.
A Lesson Beyond Ministry
If you lead anything—a classroom, a department, a team, or a household—you probably carry some version of this weight.
People may assume you're fine because you're the one they turn to.
Sometimes, you have to challenge that assumption yourself.
Find your people.
Let someone see you without the role attached.
Say the honest sentence out loud.
And give yourself permission to rest before exhaustion makes the decision for you.
The strongest leaders are not those who never grow weary.
They are those who know where to take their weariness.
A Question to Sit With This Week
Who in your life sees you without the role attached?
And when did you last let them?
Perhaps being strong for others also means knowing where you can safely put the weight down.
Next week: “The Student Who Changed Me” — a story from the classroom that reshaped how I understand calling.
CALLED TO SERVE
My Life as a Chaplain
"You were called to be free... rather, serve one another humbly in love." — Galatians 5:13 (NIV)
A weekly reflection on chaplaincy, leadership, faith, and what it means to live a life of service.
🎵 Theme Song: “Called to Serve” "I am called to serve, to listen and to lead..."
This reflection is part of the Called to Serve series. Read all twelve parts on the Called to Serve page.

Comments
Post a Comment
Thank you for reading. Thoughtful and respectful comments are welcome. Please contribute constructively to the conversation.