Called to Serve (Part 3): Translating Grief


In the first two reflections of this series, I explored how God uses unexpected experiences to prepare us for ministry and how some of life's most important lessons are learned in the waiting. This week, I reflect on one of the most sacred aspects of chaplaincy: accompanying people through grief. Over the years, I have discovered that caring for the grieving is often less about having the right answers and more about helping people find words for experiences that seem beyond language.


The Language of Grief


There is a particular silence that shows up in a hospital room, a bereaved home, or on a student's face after news that has just rearranged their world.


It isn't empty.


It is full. Full of questions, emotions, fears, disappointments, and things the person simply doesn't yet have words for.


Much of chaplaincy, I've come to believe, is a form of translation work.


Not translating one language into another, but helping to translate the wordless into the sayable.


Grief rarely arrives articulate. It comes as silence. As anger. As tears. As a strange, unsettling calm. Sometimes it comes as "I'm fine" repeated three times too many.


Part of the calling is helping a person find the sentence that has been stuck somewhere behind their ribs.


Why Silence Is Not a Problem to Solve


Early in my ministry journey, I made the mistake many well-meaning people make: I treated silence as a gap that needed to be filled.


A grieving parent would become quiet, and I would instinctively reach for a Scripture, an explanation, a comforting thought, or a plan for what should happen next.


It took time, and a few humbling moments, to learn that silence is not always a wound requiring a bandage.


Sometimes, it is a process requiring room.


Scripture gives us a powerful picture of this in the story of Job.


When Job's friends first arrived, they saw his grief, tore their robes, sat with him, and remained silent for seven days and seven nights because they could see how great his suffering was (Job 2:12-13).


That may have been their finest ministry to him.


Their trouble began when they started trying to explain his suffering.


There is a profound lesson here: sometimes the most spiritual thing we can do for a grieving person is simply to be present.


Three Things I Try to Do Instead of Filling the Silence


1. Name What I Observe, Not What I Assume


Instead of saying, "I know how you feel," I've learned to say something closer to:


"You've gone quiet. Is this a lot to carry right now?"


The difference matters.


The first assumes.


The second invites.


We don't have to understand everything someone is experiencing before we can make room for them to express it.


2. Offer a Word, Not a Speech


A single sentence such as "This is a heavy day" can sometimes do more than a paragraph of reassurance.


Grief doesn't always need an explanation.


Sometimes it simply needs a companion.


There are moments when our presence communicates more than our vocabulary ever could.


3. Let Scripture Speak When My Own Words Run Out


There are moments when even the best-intentioned words feel inadequate.


That is one reason the Psalms of lament are such a gift.


The Bible does not pretend that God's people will never experience pain, confusion, anger, or sorrow. Instead, it gives us language with which to bring those experiences honestly before God.


The Psalms teach us that lament is not the absence of faith.


Sometimes, lament is faith finding the courage to speak.


I've learned that I don't always need to invent the right words. Sometimes I simply need to help someone find the words Scripture has already given us.


A Lesson Beyond the Chaplaincy Office


You don't need a clerical role to practice this kind of ministry.


Anyone in a position of leadership or care, a school administrator, teacher, manager, parent, pastor, friend, or colleague, will eventually sit across from someone who is grieving something.


It may be:


- The loss of a loved one.

- A failed examination.

- A broken relationship.

- A frightening diagnosis.

- A lost opportunity.

- A dream that did not happen.


The instinct to fix, explain, advise, or quote a Scripture immediately can be very strong.


Sometimes we need to resist that instinct, at least long enough to understand what the person is actually carrying.


Listen before you interpret.


Understand before you advise.


Be present before you try to fix.


Because before people need our answers, they often need permission to tell their story.


A Question to Sit With This Week


Think of the last time someone you lead, teach, love, or care for went quiet on you.


Did you rush to fill the silence?


Or did you make room for it first?


Perhaps the ministry they needed from you was not an answer.


Perhaps it was simply your presence.


 "Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn."  

 Romans 12:15


Sometimes, serving people means knowing when to speak.


And sometimes, it means loving them enough to sit quietly beside them.


Next Week


The Ordinary Tuesday: Faithfulness in the days when nothing dramatic happens.




This is Part 3 of Called to Serve: My Life as a Chaplain, a weekly series exploring chaplaincy, servant leadership, and the quiet callings that shape us.



This reflection is part of the Called to Serve series. Read all twelve parts on the Called to Serve page.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Called to Serve (Part 11): A Letter to the Next Chaplain

One Step at a Time: Discovering Who I Am and Where I Am Going

Leadership Begins with Identity