Called to Serve (Part 1): The Call I Didn't Audition For
August is my birthday month, and for as long as I can remember, I have used it as a season of reflection. It is a time not merely to count another year of life, but to consider the path God has led me along.
This year, that reflection has a name: Chaplain.
As I prepare to serve as Chaplain during the 2026/2027 academic session at Divine Blessing Bible College and Seminary, I have found myself looking back. What strikes me most is that this is not really the beginning of a new journey. Rather, it is the recognition of one that God has been shaping for years.
Long before any title was attached to my name, I was already doing the work: praying with anxious students before examinations, encouraging colleagues through difficult seasons, listening to people whose burdens were too heavy to carry alone, and reminding others that God's presence is not confined to a sanctuary or a Sunday service.
That realization has taught me my first lesson:
Chaplaincy is not merely an assignment you apply for. It is a calling that is often recognized long after it has already been lived.
A Lesson from the Pharmacy Counter
Long before classrooms, lectures, and chaplaincy, I worked in pharmaceutical sales.
The work involved long drives, busy clinics, hospital corridors, and countless conversations with healthcare professionals. At the time, I believed I was simply building a career.
Looking back, I realize God was preparing me for ministry.
That season taught me something no seminary classroom could have taught as deeply: people do not always need you to have all the answers. More often, they simply need someone who is willing to be present.
A sales visit and a pastoral visit have more in common than many people imagine. Both require listening before speaking. Both require patience. Both require paying attention to another person's needs before advancing your own agenda.
Without realizing it, God was teaching me the ministry of presence.
What a Chaplain Really Does
When you strip away the title and the office, chaplaincy comes down to three simple practices:
Presence
Being there before you are needed, not merely after a crisis begins.
Translation
Helping people find words for grief, fear, doubt, disappointment, or hope when they cannot express them themselves.
Witness
Quietly pointing people toward Christ, not through force or performance, but through faithful presence, compassionate listening, wise counsel, and a life that reflects His love.
None of these require a platform.
They require availability.
Why I'm Writing This Series
Over the coming weeks, I will be sharing stories, Scriptures, and lessons from this vocation; moments from classrooms, counseling conversations, ministry experiences, and the ordinary days when nothing dramatic happens, yet faithfulness still matters.
My prayer is that these reflections will encourage pastors, educators, ministry leaders, caregivers, and anyone who has ever found themselves walking beside others in moments of joy, sorrow, uncertainty, or hope.
If you have ever been the person people naturally turn to in their hardest moments, even without an official title, this series is for you.
You may already be living a calling you have not fully named.
"Whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant."
Matthew 20:26 (NIV)
Next in the Series
Part 2: The Room Before the Room
What my years in pharmaceutical sales taught me about the ministry of presence.
About This Series
Called to Serve: My Life as a Chaplain is a series of reflections on chaplaincy, ministry, leadership, and faithful presence. Through personal stories, practical lessons, and biblical insights, I explore what it means to serve God and others wherever He has placed us.
Thank you for joining me on this journey. My prayer is that these reflections will encourage you to embrace God's call to serve with faithfulness, humility, and purpose.
This reflection is part of the Called to Serve series. Read all twelve parts on the Called to Serve page.

Comments
Post a Comment
Thank you for reading. Thoughtful and respectful comments are welcome. Please contribute constructively to the conversation.